Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #61
Registered Member

High speeds + sucky CD =

High speeds + sucky CD = less than 40MPG (guessing). Not to mention that I couldn't fit the family and gear in the del sol.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:13 PM   #62
Registered Member

This morning was dry and

This morning was dry and 44F. I left about 10 minutes earlier and had an 8 mph tail wind. I made all of the critical lights.

71.12 MPG! Wooooooot! At the mid point which is also the low point, I cracked 90MPG. Now looking for a route that will be downhill both ways.

Next stop, 75 MPG.

By the way, another new record for me was that the engine was only running 53% of the 39.34 km traveled. Much longer ign off coasts due to the tailwind and the LRR tires for sure.

Hopefully the drive home will show improvement also.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:09 PM   #63
*shrug*

I got gas today, think it

I got gas today, think it came out not bad, considering I idled for about an hour diagnosing stuff, did about 15 WOT runs diagnosing stuff, and burnt out three times, not to mention bad vacuum leak half the time: 36.6

nonetheless
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:16 PM   #64
Registered Member

Re: I got gas today, think it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
I got gas today, think it came out not bad, considering I idled for about an hour diagnosing stuff, did about 15 WOT runs diagnosing stuff, and burnt out three times, not to mention bad vacuum leak half the time: 36.6

nonetheless
Not bad considering the circumstances. Will this next tank have WOT, idling and burnouts or have you worked out all of your issues?

Old 04-18-2006, 02:21 PM   #65
Registered Member

Drive home, 66F, Dry, 8 mph

Drive home, 66F, Dry, 8 mph headwind, 65.84 MPG, top on.

Latest round trip, 68.48MPG.

Current Tank, 291 miles, 64.26 MPG.

Old 04-18-2006, 02:28 PM   #66
*shrug*

The issues were ecu testing,

The issues were ecu testing, hopefully it will not have these things. The idling was def my testing though.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:15 AM   #67
Registered Member

my first 80+ mpg segment,

my first 80+ mpg segment, though with a previously discovered mis-reporting scangauge (misreporting on the last tank, which is the first where i started using the engine-off coasting technique as much as possible).

interestingly i discovered that the scangauge stops reporting decimal values above 100 mpg on the average mpg display. (i exceeded 100 avg at a couple of points on my trip.)

80.6 mpg (US) / 2.92 L / 100 km / 96.8 mpg (imp)

- cold start
- 19 mph avg speed
- 42 mph max speed
- 7.3 miles round trip

Conditions at SUPN6 as of (12:00 pm EDT) 1600 GMT on 04/19/2006:

Wind Direction (WDIR): NNE ( 20 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 12 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 13 kts
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 30.01 in
Air Temperature (ATMP): 57.7 °F

if the scangauge is off as much as my previous fill-up (3.8%), then it's actually more like 77.54 mpg.

this afternoon i'll "google earth" my route, and see if the scangauge was reporting the right distance or not.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:09 AM   #68
Registered Member

Re: my first 80+ mpg segment,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
mis-reporting scangauge (misreporting since i started using the engine-off coasting technique as much as possible).
nope, i just google earthed my route (11.97 km), and the scangauge only under-reported the distance by 0.5% (remarkably close to the 0.6% i measured previously in the google earth / odometer experiment).

hmmm... when i last filled the tank, the scangauge was WAAAY off. my odometer reported 399 miles on the tank, but the scangauge only showed 356 miles.

makes me wonder if i failed to wake it up after a long engine-off coast or if the ODB2 connector came loose, or if (cue conspiratorial music) somebody disconnected the scangauge and drove around in my car!! i'll just go outside now and see what the car odo & sg readings are for distance so far on this tank...

so far: 260 km / 161.6 mi. since last fill-up shown on the car odo, and the sg is reporting 160 miles since last fill. so, all looks normal.

so... i'm going to stick with the theory that the scangauge is reporting distance & fuel consumption properly, and i had some kind of isolated connection/sleep glitch at some point on my last tank.

i hereby declare this 80.6 mpg to be legit!
Old 04-19-2006, 01:28 PM   #69
Registered Member

Wow that really is

Wow! that really is amazing. Do you currently have any aero mods on the car. I know at the speeds your doing it might not help that much but the coast with the belly pan really last a long time. And the temps are only getting warmer. Great job.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:45 PM   #70
Registered Member

aero mods: nope, i'm

aero mods: nope, i'm actually going backwards. the wheel skirts have been off for this tank so far, and my duct tape & cardboard grille block is so ratty it's probably hurting my mpg right now

aero is next on the list for this car. let's say by then end of next weekend i'll have my new wheel skirts fashioned and attached and a new permanent grille block in place. how's that for goal-setting. after that i'll try to redo the belly pan experiment.