new member - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-12-2021, 08:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

New member here from Aberdeen Scotland.
I have looked on here quite a lot lately as I am thinking of getting rid of my petrol eating car and am looking for a motor with lower running costs.

My car is a 5 year old Mokka and I ony get 23.3 mpg out of it, that is over a few months use, even if I reset the trip whilst out of the city and get up to 30 odd mpg, it still works it way down to 23mpg again after a few weeks.

So I am thinking of either getting an EV for the low running costs, or getting a small 2nd hand car, say a corsa, keep fora couple of years till Ev`s come down to a reasonable price.

Davie150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:26 AM   #2
Registered Member

Welcome. I am biased, but I find it hard to see past the Honda Jazz for reliability and fuel efficiency. I have had mine for four and a half years, have done 48,000 miles, and have averaged 55.3 mpg. Mine is a 2006 Mk 1.
If you are thinking of a new car, the Mk 4 Jazz, which is Hybrid with electric transmission, is a good contender. Near to an EV without the range issues.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks, I will have a look, still not made up my mind in which way to go tbh.

I do know that my car will cost me £1,400 a year in fuel and tax and probably over £1000 a year in depreciation, so even if i do nothing, it will cost me £5k to keep it for the next 2 years.
An EV lease of say an Ionic EV can be had for just under £6k, maybe less, so am thinking of doing that, or buy an older more efficient car and wait for the same 2 years
Old 02-13-2021, 05:40 AM   #4
Registered Member

I am intending going down the EV route as soon as I have charging facilities (upcoming house move). I am going for the MG5, an estate with good reviews, reasonable range, and a very tempting price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	red.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	2739  
Old 02-13-2021, 08:06 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
I am intending going down the EV route as soon as I have charging facilities (upcoming house move). I am going for the MG5, an estate with good reviews, reasonable range, and a very tempting price.
I have looked at that car as well, they are discounted quite well, I have an offer from carwow for the MG5 for £22,500 which is a £5k saving on list price, but funnily enough the Hyundai Ionic which costs more to buy is cheaper to lease over 2 years than the MG5 or MG ZS.

https://www.leasingoptions.co.uk/my-garage.

This is a comparison on them, I am going down the lease route for the first time ever as I think EV`s are massively overpriced atm and will come down in the next couple of years, which will increase the depreciation on any car that I buy outright today
Old 02-13-2021, 08:22 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
Will you arrange the charing pod first before you buy?

I was thinking of waiting till I buy first then going with Octopus
Old 02-13-2021, 11:22 AM   #7
Registered Member

Yes. I do not want to have to rely on public charging, and I live in a flat at the moment, so a Granny lead is of no use. I have heard good things about Wallbox.
Old 05-25-2021, 04:48 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie150 View Post
I have looked at that car as well, they are discounted quite well, I have an offer from carwow for the MG5 for £22,500 which is a £5k saving on list price, but funnily enough the Hyundai Ionic which costs more to buy is cheaper to lease over 2 years than the MG5 or MG ZS.

https://www.leasingoptions.co.uk/my-garage.

This is a comparison on them, I am going down the lease route for the first time ever as I think EV`s are massively overpriced atm and will come down in the next couple of years, which will increase the depreciation on any car that I buy outright today
MG5 is a good choice indeed. What have you decided to get?

visorX is offline   Reply With Quote